Last Updated on May 9, 2020
Who doesn’t catch themselves daydreaming about their favorite Disney snacks? And one salty treat that you write to me about over and over are those amazing Soft Pretzels that you can get in the Germany Pavilion in Epcot!
We took the time at home to go through a few of our favorite Disney snacks list and attempted to recreate a few of our tops must-haves. So far, we have done a Strawberry Wine slushie and Mickey Donut Cookie. Today is pretzel time.
We actually started with a completely separate recipe, and while it was amazing and soft, we just couldn’t get the tops to golden. There was too much flour and not enough proofing.
Upon more research, this particular recipe, with a few changes of our own, is much more authentically German and resembles the Biergarten soft pretzel more.
Soft Pretzel from Germany Pavilion and Baseline Tap House
- 3 tbsp White Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast Or 1 package
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Melted Butter
- 4 cups Hot Water
- 1/4 cup Baking Soda
- 1-2 Tbsp Sea Salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, yeast and warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes. The mixture should become foamy.
- Add the flour adn melted butter to the yeast mixture.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface adn knead the dough for 2-3 minutes until it comes together into a nice firm ball.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with butter. Put the dough into the greased bowl adn cover with a dish towel. Let rise somewhere warm for 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- After proofing, punch it down and remove from bowl. Cut into 8-10 pieces. Roll into roughly 17" long ropes. Shape into a pretzel form.
- Heat over to 400F (200c). Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- For the baking soda bath, heat the 4 cups of water in a medium pot until it reaches a light simmer. Stire in the baking soda, it will foam a lot.
- Place the pretzel on a slotted spatula then dip into the baking soda bath for 5 seconds. Now place the dipped pretzel on the prepared baking tray and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 12-15 minutes until they are dark adn golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before enjoying.
Please share your thoughts in the comments or reach out on social media...We would love to hear from you.
You May Also Like…