Last Updated on May 25, 2020
Currently served at Kona Cafe and Capt. Cook’s, this decadent breakfast classic has been on the menu at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort since 1971.
What is Tonga Toast?
Tonga Toast is thick-sliced sourdough French Toast that is stuffed with a banana. Then it is covered in cinnamon sugar and fried. This breakfast staple at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort is amazing.
Banana-stuffed sourdough bread, battered, deep-fried, and dusted with cinnamon-sugar.
- 2 slices Sourdough bread cut 1½ inches thick
- 1 Banana
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Vegetable oil
- Put about four inches of oil or shortening into a good-sized pot
- Heat the oil/shortening to 350ºF. While that is heating up, cut a small pocket (about 1 inch in length) in the side of each bread slice.
- Cut your banana in half, then cut in half again lengthwise. Stuﬀ two pieces of banana into the pocket you cut into each slice of bread.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar, then set aside.
- In a bowl larger than your piece of bread, mix the egg, milk, and vanilla, then also set aside.
- Place each piece of stuﬀed bread into the bowl with egg mixture and allow it to soak for a few seconds. Place soaked bread into the hot oil/shortening and fry on both sides until lightly browned.
- When done, remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels or a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before serving.
You May Also Like…